Bordered by the Charleston Music Hall, the Charleston Visitors Bureau, the Galliard Auditorium, and the Charleston Maritime Center, Mazyck-Wraggborough is permeated with history and culture. Close to the lively nightlife and enticing restaurants of Upper King Street, the neighborhood is comprised of stately original homes and renovated Charleston singles. With Charleston’s grand architectural style evident throughout the borough, Mazyck-Wraggborough radiates a stylish presence in the community.
Mazyck-Wraggborough was founded in the 18th century, after John Wragg inherited the land, 79 acres, from his father Joseph Wragg. It was John who named the area “Wraggborough”. He died before developing the land, but planned it out in detail, plans that were carried out by his siblings. Hence, many of the streets in Mazyck-Wraggborough have Anglo names, such as Ann, Elizabeth, and Charlotte, all having been named for Wraggs. The family lived within the borough for a time, and later donated tree-lined green spaces for public use, such as Wragg Square and Wragg Mall, areas still present in modern day time.
Located above Calhoun Street on the Cooper River side of the Charleston peninsula, Mayzck-Wraggborough is near to the Upper King Street district, offering convenience to a variety of shops and restaurants. Historically rich, the borough is home to the Charleston Museum, also known as “America’s First Museum” founded in 1773. Built in 1818, the Aiken-Rhett house is also located in Mayzck-Wraggborough. Famed for its size and fine interior furnishings, it is the most intact townhouse complex in downtown Charleston illustrating what antebellum life was like on the peninsula.